Monday, July 18, 2011

Interesting Read

I wanted to re-post this article on here on my blog, but I'm late for a meeting at work.

Please click on the link and read the article. Its not that I agree or disagree with the article. I just enjoyed the topic and relate to the perspective.

Its funny (strange) how the 'don't-mess-with-me' hyper-masculine mma fan t-shirts have crossed over into Christian merchandise. I wonder if the guy that walks around wearing a shirt covered in skulls strung together with barbwire also walks around wearing a t-shirt of a buffed out Jesus telling me in no uncertain terms that I'm a pussy.

The discussions about masculinity and faith have been already written about thoughtfully. I just wanted to share an observation I've had over the years with churches and mma gyms.

I've been a Christian and a combat sports "gym rat" for going on 3 decades now and I hear unsettling discussions whenever I'm traveling inside both of those circles. I hear church leaders boast about a particular flagship ministry that's doing well for a target demographic. I also hear mma coaches citing their fighter's win records as proof of their gym's 'competitive advantage' over other gyms. Both circles compartmentalize their 'products' in order to 'sell' an idea to a potential customer that what they offer is in fact the best option to choose when compared to the 'other places' that offer exactly the same thing.

But why aren't the essential truths stressed more in both circles? Why do ministers and coaches alike resist to admit that other churches and gyms are as proficient if not better than their own with regard to certain aspects? Some churches have exceptionally talented people running youth ministries, but are lacking in adult ministries compared to other churches. As well in mma some gyms possess talented wrestling coaches, but lack an experienced person to teach the complexities of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Is it considered a heresy to go to different churches on different nights for different programs? In MMA circles, going to another gym outside of your own could get you banished from your gym.

Isn't it liberating to ponder the notion that the individual is the critical factor to finding value in both? Do I really need "pastor so & so" to preach to me in order to know God? Do I really have to have the big MMA promotion ex-champion teach me submissions? The answer to both is no. However, you got to learn from somewhere and someone with the right answers. But I question the authority of organizations and institutions that insist on marketing themselves as the best option for everyone. Blanket assertions suck.